Dr Pinkola, and why people gift us books

When the day is done, it shall be over, and you rest your weary head. Place down your book and teacup, and find your heavenly bed. The cats in the cradle, the dogs by the fire. And all those words you read,. Left you filled. With a burning new desire.

People come and go but some books, it seems, hang around, stay for life, or reappear later. Did you ever read a book some time ago, and then leave it before reaching the end. I think a lot of people do this.

I recently re-read Woman That Run With The Wolves, written by the award-winning author and archetypal psychologist, Clarissa Pinkola Estés. I had been given the book years ago. 

Moving into into rented accommodation at the age of sixteen, the exiting tenant of the room handed me the above book along with The Road Less Travelled by M.Scott-Peck  as she left. I thanked her and read the latter, and only read three-quarters of Dr Pinkolas's book. Recently, I devoured this thick and rewarding book, which takes you on a journey through the symbolism of fairy tales at the least of its vast contents. Dr Pinkola, as usual, guides us through the journey of the soul. Enlightening us and planting seeds as to the whys in a life lived.

Recently, I wondered why I had not finished the book all those years ago.

It would have been a learning curve for my younger self. You see, sometimes we need a book to enter our lives. Maybe this older woman, whose room I was taking in a shared house had noticed my young age. Maybe the books were a motherly gesture. I veer towards thinking so. Is that influenced by having just read Dr. Pinkolas's masterpiece, Untie The Strong Woman? 

Yes, probably so. You see, we all need a book to be thrust into our hands sometimes. A universal stranger sees more than we realize. And all spiritual mothers sent to help us are always a blessing. For universal strangers are after all connected to something much larger maybe.


Sonya Vukomanovic/Lawrence © 09/04/2024

Picture: Tucker Good   https://unsplash.com/photos/orange-tabby-cat-near-books-selective-focus-photography-VvO8e8n0Ffg

Comments