Tanglewood TWBB OE Blackbird Folk Electro Acoustic, Smoke Black Satin

Guitar Review: A Black Bird sings a flattering tune.

Is an early morning walk always more special in the summer? Well, maybe when you are lucky enough to live somewhere surrounded by wild meadows and wooded hills. So, what could make that experience more enjoyable? Well, for me, it would be a black bird sitting on a cottage chimney pot singing. I am always so happy to see one of England's favourite birds perched high up in a tree, in operatic song, like a nightingale, and welcoming the ever-warming spring sunshine.

So, you might say, what has this got to do with a Blackbird guitar review Tiggy?

I would say, it has a lot to do with it, to be honest. For a start, it is a fitting name for a guitar that does not show off,  but can hold a tune.

On the day I purchased mine from Zebra Music in Ilkeston, Derbyshire I did not want a satin black guitar. But this understated folk guitar had other ideas. It wanted me to choose it, I’m sure. As Rob went to get a new one out of the box upstairs, I had a play on a Fender that was priced higher and very beautiful. It was stunning to look at and was constructed of lovely shades of wood. I thought that I would indeed be leaving with a Fender. I plugged it in, and yes, a very beautiful sound came about.
But something in me said, no, hang on a minute. I plugged in the Blackbird and immediately found its output amazing. I love Fender guitars, but this little black bird with its D’Addario strings was just so special.

So fast forward to last weekend when we recorded the late Nanci Grithiff’s song, There’s a light beyond these Woods, Mary Margaret. (My little blackbird has had a change of strings. I found the originals too thick for my fingers.) Rob changed them to Elixir, and I immediately not only heard the difference, which was just personal preference but felt the smoothness on the tips of my fingers. Listening back to the recording, I love the vibrato on the guitar.

For the price tag of this guitar, you get a lot

The mahogany produces a rich, warm earthy tone and these attributes mixed with the electronics give out a high-quality sound once plugged in. This is a guitar that is easy to play compared to a dreadnaught with its beautiful Blackbird neck and homely fretboard.

The hourglass shape of the guitar is very traditional, but don’t let this put you off. The projection is great, and you will find yourself having some very magical moments with what this Blackbird can contribute to a performance.

S.Lawrence/S.Vukomanovic © 21/03/2024


Comments