Blackbird melodies , trees and Roger Deakin...

Summer: This time of year is special. Well, I know you know that...


Panoramin view in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. SHowing a wooden fence and style. Looking towards the new housing estate. Next to St Oswalds Church hall and car park











Or do you?
Does one person know it as much as the other, just as you feel love so deeply it makes you ache?

For example, every evening a rather fluffy large black bird appears on the roof of the flats opposite my living room window. He stares into my balcony, knowing I am waiting for him to begin his tuneful performance. Master Blackbird knows he is very good indeed and I feel deep inside that he is a little dicky bird who is the Pavarotti of the local birdy opera crowd. I'm sure all the local feathered females swoon as he shows off his scales and attempts to mimic my neighbours budgie with his pretty Joey whistles.

Occasionally I whistle something new to him and he tries to copy it.                          

He then peers at me and whistles something extraordinary.

So, you might ask, what has someone called Roger got to do with this Tiggy?

And would say this if I reply from my heart.

Some time ago I was lucky enough to come across the author Roger Deakin, I was attracted to the book cover, to be honest. And to this day Wildwood, A Journey Through Trees takes pride of place among his other publications on my bookshelves. Quite fitting I suppose that this beautifully written book that transmits Roger's passion for trees and nature sits upon the seat of the king of English trees, my oak bookshelf.

And as I write this and look over at the cream and autumnal orange hardback copy it blends in rather well with its neighbours. Waterlog on one side and  Notes From The Walnut Tree Farm on the other. Good Company.
I also think that maybe the late Roger Deakin would approve of my shelves.
You see they came from Ebay for the fine sum of twenty pounds. The elderly couple who delivered them for an extra ten pounds insisted they carry them up two flights of stairs.

What is so close to one man's heart can also be the blossom that makes someone else's day. Trees and birds go together like snails and soil. One needs the other, depending on the other. Just like hand-carved wooden dominoes, one is linked to the other. That yet again brings us back to wood. And who would say that birds bring on heartache with their song?

Count me in...


Join me here on Medium

My YouTube channel here







28/06/2023  ©  Tiggy Sonya.Lawrence/Vukomanovic

(If you are an award-winning copy editor for a national paper who is a bit of a magpie, I suggest you flap off and try and lose the copy bit of your job. )


 

Comments